Writing A Detailed Resume in 2021
Part of my Ustacky Ng Micro-degree Scholarship programme (Front End Web development track), we were taught on Career Development. I learnt how to create a well detailed Resume. I learnt so many new things (some, I was even shocked on). So, I decided to write an article on it as I felt it would also be helpful to someone.
I won’t waste much of your time, I’ll advise you take a glass of wine, a pen and paper and let’s go😁…
To succeed in today’s market, you have to think of your “Resume” as an advertisement targeted towards your future boss!
Before, you start writing your Resume, you have to first of all prepare your information on a paper or a note-book. Which are;
- Education history (Date inclusive)
- Work experience (Date, Job and company inclusive)
Keep all these aside.
Before we go into the structure of a resume let’s see briefly;
The Components Of A Resume
- A resume must be concise. Clearly written and straight to the point.
- One page
- It must have the Right Structure.
Writing a resume is one thing, having a good structure is another thing 🤔
Let’s move on..
Good Structure Of A Resume
For students and New graduates, your resume should be structured as follows;
- Name and contact information; (Full name, Email address, Link to profile, Link to your portfolio website)
- Summary: Summarise your skills and strengths. (Let it be able to show how your skills and strength fits the job requirements).
- Education: Write your Recent and last education history, with dates inclusive.
- Certifications: Include any relevant certifications. I’ll suggest, you include one that is related to the job you’re applying for.
- Work Experience: Add your detailed work experience, if any. (It should be concise and well detailed).
- Leadership and Awards: Add your volunteering opportunities. If you’ve volunteered for a particular position or if you got any awards.
- Projects: Things you’ve worked on in time past. (Those related to the job applications).
Do’s and Don’ts In Writing A Resume
- Keep your Resume in a page
- Include appropriate contact information
- Use Action Words(E.g Analysed, Developed. And not; I Analysed, I developed )
- Keep formatting simple. (Use readable font style)
- Don’t include personal information. (Very important. only include, if it’s required in the job description.)
- Don’t include reference. Unless stated otherwise.
- Don’t use passive voice. (E.g; The database was managed by me.)
- Don’t use hard to read and lengthy sentences. Make your resume short and concise.
- Use bullet points and Don’t present information in paragraphs.
- List all experiences in reversed chronological order. (Most recent first).
Finding your dream job requires determination to reach your goals and achieve great things.
F-E-A-R has two meanings: 'Forget Everything And Run' or 'Face Everything And Rise.' The choice is yours.” ― Zig Ziglar.
Say this to yourself;
"I feel myself becoming the fearless person I have dreamt of being. Have I arrived? No. But I’m constantly evolving and challenging myself to be unafraid to make mistakes." ― Janelle Monáe
Goodluck in getting that job you’ve always wanted 😁.
P.S: If you have any ideas or advices on how to write a detailed Resume. I’m always open to hear them out too. You can drop a note here on this article. Thank you so much.
Follow me for more educating. articles 😁
One final question:
What would you do, if you weren’t afraid?…